Leafy Loves: Taking a Look at Your Favorite Leafy Salad Greens
In the past, we really did not have too many choices when it comes to salads and greens. The most basic greens that were used in salads have always been iceberg lettuces. The good thing about iceberg lettuces is that they have considerably long shelf lives – with proper refrigeration, they can last for several weeks. But the catch here is: iceberg lettuces do not really taste that good.
But today, as more and more people become more adventurous in terms of their food preferences and palate, new salad greens are emerging in the market that has taken salad courses into a whole new and exciting level. So for those of you who want to discover the tastes of exotic and new varieties leafy greens, then this is the perfect read for you!
• Spoon Cabbage – an Asian delicacy. Spoon cabbages are most well known for their peppery taste and beautiful texture.
• Lollo Rosso – this is the perfect choice if you want to add sweetness and color into your salad. Lollo Rosso leaves usually have a reddish tinge at its edges and has a deliciously mildly sweet taste.
• Rugola – a delicacy of its own, rugola is most well loved for its peppery and nutty flavor. Aside from this, rugola leaves can also be great when mixed with other kinds of vegetables, most specially goat cheese.
• Frisee – a unique name to a one-of-a-kind salad green. Frisbees are vey attractive greens with colors ranging form bright yellow to dark green. Although slightly bitter, when paired with the right kinds of vegetables in a salad, they can turn a simple course into a meal to remember!
• Watercress – most well known for its spicy-mustard taste – the perfect highlight in salads filled with mild greens.
• Mache – greens with spoon shaped leaves – a favorite because of its distinct buttery flavor. Can be eaten as is or mixed with other complementing vegetable ingredients.
Whoever said salads are boring? With these number of selections, and each greens having its own distinctive taste, salad courses are considered to be one of the most well loved food choices today!